“PSHE education is a school subject through which pupils develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe, and prepared for life and work. Well-delivered PSHE programmes have an impact on both academic and non-academic outcomes for pupils, particularly the most vulnerable and disadvantaged.” PSHE Association
At Hebburn Lakes Primary, the PSHE curriculum is predominantly taught through ‘Jigsaw’ – an integrated scheme of work which fulfils all statutory requirements for Relationships Education, Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) and Health Education. It also has an emphasis on emotional literacy, mental health and spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development.
Many of the statutory elements of PSHE are also covered through our Learning Means The World themes.
Jigsaw offers a whole-school approach which ensures a progressive, spiral PSHE curriculum from Nursery up to Year 6. There are six Jigsaw Puzzles (half-termly units) designed so the whole school can study the same learning themes at the same time, each year group at its own level. The Puzzles are sequential and developmental throughout each academic year.
Puzzle 1 – Being Me in My World
Puzzle 2 – Celebrating Difference
Puzzle 3 – Dreams and Goals
Puzzle 4 – Healthy Me
Puzzle 5 – Relationships
Puzzle 6 – Changing Me
Please see the attached files for further information about the PSHE curriculum and Jigsaw.
Useful webpages for families/children wanting support in relation to a child who identifies as LGBT+ or is questioning their sexual orientation/gender identity. Please click the links below.
- What is Jigsaw? - guide for parents and carers pdf475.0 KbApr 29th, 2022
- HL PSHE Progression.docx docx565.4 KbApr 29th, 2022
- Understanding Relationships and Health Education pdf362.5 KbMar 11th, 2022
- Including and Valuing ALL children pdf1.1 MbMar 11th, 2022
- RSE in the School - Information for parents and carers.pdf pdf279.4 KbMar 11th, 2022
- UK-3-11-Snapshot-Overview-Map.pdf pdf201.3 KbMar 11th, 2022